Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cheat of the Week: Apple, Sausage, Sauerkraut and White Cheddar Quesadillas


This "cheat of the week" recipe is inspired by my favorite German,+Jonny Schmidt (Jonathan), who asked me to think up something delicious involving sauerkraut. I admit, I had to do some "Googling" (so funny that Google is a verb) to see what might be a nice flavorful addition to sauerkraut. I finally found an interesting recipe from +EatingWell Magazine on Pinterest for sauerkraut quesadillas. 


I made a few modifications to their recipe (added sausage and white cheddar, instead of regular cheddar), but I encourage you to try this out if you have an adventurous palate...it was REALLY DELICIOUS!

Now, keep in mind, the only other time I have eaten sauerkraut was sprinkled on top of a bratwurst in Chicago. Proof that I'm not always a perfect eater...see picture below of said bratwurst and sauerkraut (in the container next to the french fries...I promise I put it on my brat...AND I ate my fries)!

Me and Jonathan eating the sauerkraut and bratwurst in Chicago (where, I might add, our bartender's name was also Taryn)





This recipe will make enough for 2 servings. Takes about 25 minutes total time for preparation and cooking.


INGREDIENTS

2 Large tortillas (burrito size)

2 cups of cooked mild ground Italian sausage

1 cup sauerkraut (just buy a jar of it)

1 small apple (I used a honeycrisp apple), peeled and thinly sliced

1 and 1/3 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded (I bought a block of Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese and used my grater to shred the cheese)





1. Put sauerkraut and water in a medium-sized skillet. Heat until the liquid has evaporated, but not so much that the sauerkraut begins to stick to the pan. Remove from the heat.

2. Brown sausage in separate skillet.

3. Gradually heat a large cast-iron over medium heat. Put one tortilla in the pan and immediately sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over half of it. Quickly arrange about half the apple slices over the cheese, then top with half the sauerkraut and sausage, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with another 1/3 cup cheese.Fold the tortilla over the filled half and press gently on it with a spatula to seal. Heat the quesadilla until the bottom is golden, about 2-3 minutes, then carefully flip and lightly brown the other side.

4. Slide the quesadilla onto a cutting board and cut it into halves or quarters.

If you want another one, there should be enough for a second serving. If you can only eat just one (like me), you can put a little extra sausage, cheese and apples in your first quesadilla.

I paired mine with a small side salad of super greens, peaches, pear tomatoes and goat cheese!


Genieben! I think that means "Enjoy" in German!




2 comments:

  1. Yum! This was a great cheat of the week - I am totally working this into the dinner rotation next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! Let me know what you think when you have a chance to make it.

    ReplyDelete